From professional contractors to DIY enthusiasts, everyone can appreciate having a good jigsaw in their power tool inventory. Especially because they offer great versatility and power, come at a reasonable price and are relatively easy to use even for people with no previous experience. However, acquiring the best corded jigsaw for your needs does require somewhat deeper research. The market is flooded with decent jigsaws, but only a few are the best.
That’s why to help you make the right decision, we picked and reviewed the best power tools of this type so you won’t have to waste valuable time searching further. In this buyer’s guide for corded jigsaws, we’ll inform you about the essentials that you’ll need to know before purchasing one.
But, before jumping to our guide and reviews for best corded jigsaw, let’s take a step back and return to the basics.
What is a Jigsaw?
Jigsaws are hand-held power tools that have the ability to cut through various materials such as wood, plastic, steel, metal or ceramic among everything else. The jigsaw allows you to make curved and straight cuts with ease in the materials named above.
They were invented in the 19th century and at the beginning people used a treadle to power the blade. But now, everything’s easier with electricity. Modern jigsaws use an electric motor to power the blade and some of the can be corded or cordless.
The big debate when acquiring a jigsaw is whether it should be corded or cordless. The obvious difference between them is of course the cord, as their names indicate.
Cordless jigsaws are powered by batteries and can last for hours, but are generally less powerful. While corded jigsaws don’t have a time limit and all you need is a power outlet at the worksite.
Moreover, cordless jigsaws can run out of batteries quickly if you use them for heavy-duty work, are heavier to work with due to the batteries, but on the other hand, they are more portable than corded jigsaws. That’s why corded are more suitable for workshops while cordless for outdoors and if you frequently change job sites.
So, let me cut it short for you – if you are looking for a more powerful jigsaw that has the ability to run as long as you want and can cut through thicker, stronger materials easily, then getting a corded jigsaw is an absolute must. But if you are a beginner in woodworking who would like to start on a DIY project, then the cordless jigsaw is probably the one you should go with. However, in this guide, we only review the best corded jigsaws…apart from one. But more on that later.
Powerful amp motor, cordless or corded, weight for portability, easy handling, etc. It’s all good, but none of this matters without a blade.
We can differentiate two types of blades in jigsaws – T-shank and U-shank blades. Modern jigsaws mostly use T-shank blades which are now a standard among professionals in the industry but also have the ability to use U-shank as well. While older jigsaws use only U-shank ones in general.
Depending on the work-piece you want to cut, you’ll need to use different types of blade materials:
- High-carbon steel (HCS) for wood and other soft materials
- High-speed steel (HSS) for metals and steel
- Bi-Metal (BIM) for fragile materials and added versatility
- Tungsten Carbide (TC) for abrasive materials
On most new corded jigsaws, the blade can be quickly and effortlessly replaced thanks to an excellent changing system.
Jigsaw Benefits and Features
One of the main advantages that jigsaws have compared to power tools with circular saw blades for example – is their ability to move freely through the work-piece. Unlike cordless or corded jigsaws, circular saws have more limited movement and cutting with them isn’t as perfect as with jigsaws.
Apart from their mobility, corded jigsaws are also simple to use and offer great safety features which makes them attractive to beginners. Not to mention their lightweight for easier transportation from one workplace to another, reasonable price and most importantly – the power to cut through various materials, thick or thin.
When purchasing a corded jigsaw, you’d also like to look at important features such as:
- The Handles- Barrel Grip vs Top/D-handle
- Orbital or straight reciprocating jigsaw
- Variable speed that can be adjusted as you like
- Reduced vibrations for improved accuracy when cutting
- Quick blade replacement system
For more information on these features and their importance, read our buying guide at the end of this article.
Now it’s time to get down to business – here are our 10 picks and reviews for the best corded jigsaw in 2021.
10 Best Corded Jigsaws in 2021 [Reviews]
1. BLACK+DECKER JigSaw with IRWIN QUICK-GRIP Clamps (BDEJS600C & 1964758)
2. Jigsaw, Avid Power 5.0A 3000 SPM JigSaw with Variable Speed
3. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX JigSaw, Tool Only (PCC650B)
4. Jigsaw, Meterk Upgraded 800W 6.7 Amp 3000 SPM JigSaw with Laser Guide & LED
5. CRAFTSMAN JigSaw, 5.0-Amp with Blades, T-Shank Set, 13-Piece (CMES610 & CMAJ1SET13)
6. G LAXIA 6.2Amp Jig Saw, 2800 SPM Professional JigSaw with LED Light
7. Bosch Power Tools Jig Saws – JS470E Corded Top-Handle Jigsaw – 120V Low-Vibration, 7.0-Amp
8. WEN 3602 6 Amp Variable Speed Orbital JigSaw
9. TACKLIFE Advanced 6.7 Amp 3000 SPM Jigsaw with Laser & LED, Variable Speed (PJS02A)
10. Bosch (JS572EK) – 7.2 Amp Corded Variable Speed, Top-Handle Jig Saw with Assorted Blades and Carrying Case
These are our reviews for the best corded jigsaw:
1. BLACK+DECKER JigSaw with IRWIN QUICK-GRIP Clamps (BDEJS600C & 1964758)
To begin our list for best corded jigsaw, we present you a first-class power tool by the American manufacturer Black & Decker. It’s a bestselling product on Amazon in the power jig saws category, with excellent reviews and great customer satisfaction.
The jigsaw comes with a strong 5.0-amp motor and cutting power of 3,000 SPM (strokes per minute) that will help you to cut through almost anything. Sure, it doesn’t have the power to make the deepest cuts, but cutting hardwood and metal won’t be an issue.
Thanks to the Curve Control feature, you have 4 orbital settings to adjust the saw for the type of work you’ll do. It also has an adjustable shoe for better stability and can make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees on both right and left sides.
But that’s not all – the jigsaw comes with Irwin quick-grip clamps to help you keep the workpiece unscratched. Their sturdy design will hinder any flexing or bending while the one-handed trigger allows you to release the clamps immediately.
- Very easy to control and provides smooth cuts
- Comes with a dust blower to keep your worksite clean
- Improved accuracy due to a new wire guard
- Tool-free blade change feature for quick and painless blade replacement
- 2-year limited warranty by the manufacturer
- Doesn’t offer the safety features that jigsaws of similar price range have
- Users have complained about stability and straight cutting
2. Avid Power Jigsaw with Variable Speed and Bevel Angle (0°-45°)
Similar to the power tool above, Avid Power’s AJS274 jigsaw also comes with a strong 5.0-amp motor and cutting speed up to 3,000 SPM. This makes it great for straight, diagonal or curved cuts in various materials such as: wood, aluminum, stainless steel, plywood and so on.
And depending on the job task, you can easily adjust the speed with the control dial for ultimate performance. The cutting depth stands at ¼-inches for metal and 2-1/2 for wood.
It also comes with a scale ruler that ensures accurate cuts, especially when woodworking. The bevel angle adjusts from 0° up to 45° while the orbital action has 4 gear settings.
- Gear 0 – best used for wood and making straight cuts
- Gear 1 – best used for hardwood, aluminum and small curved cuts
- Gear 2 – best used for making rapid middle curved cuts in aluminum and steel
- Gear 3 – best used for fast cutting wood, plywood and making large curve cuts
The whole box set comes with an Allen wrench, user manual, 6pcs jigsaw blades and a dust exhaust pipe as well. However, it doesn’t have a laser guide.
- Variable speed controlled via a dial for increased versatility
- Quality rubber handle for better grip and control
- Reduced fatigue after long cutting thanks to the lock-on switch
- Great dust extraction system that allows you to connect a vacuum cleaner
- Easy and fast blade replacement due to a tool-free blade change system
- Excellent price, but not the very best corded jigsaw on the list
3. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Jig Saw, Tool Only (PCC650B)
You may be asking yourself right now – isn’t this a guide for cordless jigsaws? Well, it is. However, there’s a big reason why its included on the list. And the reason is quite simple, really. The Porter-Cable PCC650B isn’t an ordinary saw because it rivals and even beats some of the most quality corded jigsaws on the market. No wonder its Amazon’s choice for “cordless jigsaw” and has excellent reviews.
As a cordless jigsaw, it produces a great amount of power. The PCC650B can reach a no-load cutting speed up to 2,500 SPM which is very close to the corded jigsaws on our list. The speed can easily be adjusted as well with the control dial. So, making smooth, accurate or fast cuts won’t be an issue.
Another superb feature is of course the orbital action. You have three orbital settings to play with if there’s a need for a more aggressive approach to certain cuts.
Similar to corded jigsaws, the Porter-Cable PCC650B also comes with a dust blower to keep the worksite clean and improve visibility while woodworking.
- Extremely lightweight jigsaw which makes it easy for transportation
- Quality tool-free replacement system for quick blade change
- Can do bevel cuts up to 45 degrees thanks to a beveling shoe
- Control dial to adjust the speed according to your needs
- Features an integrated dust blower for clean worksite and better performance
- Requires batteries to run, but they aren’t included in the package
4. Meterk Jig Saw with Laser Guide & LED, Variable Speed, 4PCS T-Shank Saw Blades
Time to get back to the corded jigsaws now.
Meterk presents you one of the most powerful and durable jigsaws on the market. No, seriously – it comes with a 6.7-amp motor that can produce a no-load cutting speed up to 3,000 RPM. But, that’s just the beginning. Because next, you have the adjustable speed that has 6 levels. So whether you’d like to cut thin or thick materials, it won’t be an issue for Meterk’s jigsaw. Just set the speed level you’d want to work with and you are good to go.
To achieve durability, they added a blowing fan that “filters” the heat. The lock-on button will allow you longer cutting time while the non-slip handle provides comfortability and reduced fatigue.
Some of the most amazing features this jigsaw has to offer are the LED lights, laser guide and guide ruler. With these features, you’ll have massive help while cutting to achieve flawless precision and even work in the dark thanks to the LED lights.
Then you have the 4 orbital settings that allow the user to adjust the cutting for the material in front of them. And unlike other jigsaws so far, the Meterk has an adjustable bevel angle from -45° up to 45 degrees.
Thanks to all of the features above, the depth of a cut goes up to 100 mm in wood and 10 mm in stronger materials like iron.
- Laser assisted cutting to easily make a straight, beveled or curved cut
- Ability to do bevel cuts up to 45° on both sides of the workpiece
- Tool-less system to effortlessly change 4 universal T-shank blades
- Dual switch control as a safety feature to prevent user injuries
- Integrated dust blower to keep the worksite clean and improved cut visibility
- Can be quite loud when operating at maximum power
5. CRAFTSMAN Jig Saw with T-Shank Set Blades, 13-Piece (CMES610 & CMAJ1SET13)
Next on our list for best corded jigsaw is Cfratman’s CMES610 power tool that comes with a 13-piece T-shank set of blades.
It’s equipped with a 5.0-amp motor that produces an impressive 5500 rpm no-load cutting speed. And of course, it has a variable speed trigger that allows the user to set the SPM according to the cut they need to make on the workpiece.
Furthermore, you have 4 orbital settings to set the aggressiveness of the cut for the required application. The CMES610 and its blades are ideal for woodworking and cutting metal workpieces.
Because it’s a modern corded jigsaw, you can use both T and U-shank blades which proves the tool’s versatility. And yes, it does have a tool-free blade release.
An interesting feature on the CMES610 is the over-molded handle which adds to comfortability and increased grip when working. Plus, it comes with a case for convenient storage.
- Comes with a 3-year limited warranty by the manufacturer, including support
- Quality case to store the jigsaw and the 13pc T-shank blade set
- Variable speed trigger and 4 orbital settings for added versatility
- Accepts both T and U-shank blades
- Compatible with versa-track wall organization system, but items sold separately
- Manufactured in China
6. G LAXIA Professional JigSaw with LED Light, Adjustable Aluminum Base, Variable Speed
Similar to the Meterk jigsaw above, this one also comes with a powerful 6.7-amp motor that can generate a cutting power of 3000 SPM and no-load speed up to 2800 rpm. It’s a pure copper motor and it has six-speed positions to adjust the power to achieve faster cuts or accuracy.
It has 4 orbital settings as most saws on our list and the gears start from 0 to 3. Depending on the type of material and its thickness, you’ll need to use the right setting to make the best cut. For example: use lower settings if you plan on doing fast cuts in soft workpieces and higher settings for slower but more precise cuts in harder workpieces.
Thanks to the adjustable aluminum footplate feature, the G LAXIA jigsaw can make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees on both sides. And as with most corded jigsaws on our list, this one also comes with a tool-free blade change system for quick and easy replacement.
The jigsaw was designed with performance and productivity in mind as it can be concluded from the switch lock. When the trigger is activated, the user doesn’t have to keep pushing it for the tool to work. With the switch lock on, the jigsaw works on its own which can help you to reduce fatigue in the hand. Less fatigue equals more work and cutting.
- Powerful motor that can cut through thick and thinner materials
- Variable speed and 4 orbital settings for added versatility and quality cuts
- Smart switch lock design to reduce fatigue and improve performance
- Top handle jigsaw that can bevel on both sides to 45 degrees
- Second heaviest corded jigsaw on our list, means it can be tricky for transportation and use
7. Bosch Top Handle Jigsaw (JS470E), Variable Speed, Low-Vibration
The first top handle jigsaw on our list from the power tool manufacturing giant Bosch is the JS470E and it comes with many features.
As it can be expected, Bosch delivers a pure beast on the market that hardly any other product can compete with.
The powerful 7.0-amp motor with 3,100 SPM cutting power will allow you to cut through anything you want. But don’t worry, we all know that kind of power can be an overkill. That’s why Bosch made it with a variable speed dial to control the power, so you can make various types of cuts.
Another superb feature is the orbital action that comes in 4 settings. These settings allow the user to set the aggressiveness of the jigsaw and dictate what type of cuts should the blades make. Whether they’ll be smooth and slow cuts on metal or faster but rougher cuts on a wood workpiece.
And because Bosch is all about performance, they also included a lock-on button to help the user battle exhaustion.
The JS470E Bosch jigsaw comes with blade clamps for increased grip and has a big, strong die-cast foot for security.
- Low vibration design for increased stability and more accurate cuts
- Full package: onboard bevel wrench, carrying case, overshoe, blade and anti-splinter insert
- Internal precision-machined plunging system for accuracy
- Control the operating speed with an accelerator trigger
- Tool-less blade change system
- Only accepts T-shank blades and it’s on the heavier side
- Provides excellent performance but comes at a higher price
8. WEN 3602, Top Handle, Variable Speed Orbital JigSaw
As we can see from the specifications above, the WEN 3602 jigsaw model comes with quite an impressive 6.0-amp motor. Maybe it isn’t the most powerful on the market, but it still can handle plastic, metal or wood without any issues. And depending on the material you cut, you can adjust the variable speed from 800 to 3,000 SPM.
If you are in a need for a pendulum effect on the blade, just turn the switch on to orbital action and you are good to go. You have 4 orbital settings to choose from as on most corded jigsaws we review.
Moreover, a brilliant feature is the ability to bevel up to 45 degrees on both right and left. However, even more impressive is the lightweight design combined with the lock-on trigger that makes the jigsaw very easy to use. Which means the user won’t suffer big fatigue.
- Easy to use with a lightweight design that reduces hand fatigue when working
- Tool-free release chuck for quick blade replacement
- Onboard storage system for your remaining tools
- Beveling footplate on both sides from -45° to 45°
- 2-year warranty and helpful nationwide customer service
- Made from plastic and not the most durable jigsaw on the market
9. TACKLIFE Advanced Jigsaw with Laser & LED, Variable Speed (PJS02A)
Tacklife and quality are a synonym at this point and the PJS02A isn’t an exception. This magnificent top handle corded jigsaw is powered by a 6.7-amp pure copper motor that produces cutting power up to 3,000 SPM.
The speed dial allows you to change 6 positions and control the speed for increased cutting performance. While for the aggressiveness of the application, Tacklife PJS02A offers you 4 orbital settings for a diverse number of cuts. Lower settings for more accurate cuts in harder materials like metal and higher settings for faster cuts in softer workpieces.
Furthermore, you have the adjustable aluminum footplate that allows you to make bevel cuts up to 45° on both sides. Stability is ensured by the beveling shoe.
To ensure first-class precision and visibility when making a cut, Tacklife added a laser and LED lights.
- Integrated dust blower and a dust port with the option to connect a vacuum cleaner
- Tool-less blade replacement system for a quick change
- Switch lock trigger to keep the jigsaw working without the need to push it
- Full package: carry case, rip fence, Allen wrench, 6 replaceable blades
- Variable speed dial and 4 orbital settings
- One of the heaviest products on our list for best corded jigsaw
- Might need to use a second hand to control the variable speed dial
10. Bosch (JS572EK) – Top-Handle JigSaw with Assorted Blades, Variable Speed and Carrying Case
This time, Bosch presents the multipurpose JS572EK top handle corded jigsaw. And when compared to the Bosch JS470E, this one has even more power but at the same time is lighter as well.
The mind-blowing 7.2-amp motor with 3,000 SPM cutting power may appear frightening at first sight to beginners. However, Bosch did everything they can to make it as easy as possible to use even for inexperienced people. One of the main features contributing to this factor – is the low vibration, caused by an innovative counterbalancing mechanism.
To control the enormous power, you have a variable speed dial that enables you to set the maximum speed needed for the cut and an accelerator trigger for the operating.
Similar to the previous 9 corded jigsaws, the Bosch JS572EK bevels up to 45 degrees as well and has 4 orbital settings to adjust the aggressiveness of the cut.
- Dust blower and LED lights for maximum visibility during a cut
- Constant response circuitry technology by Bosch to maintain continuous speed and performance
- Designed for durability, power and cut precision
- Ejection lever for quick blade replacement
- Very loud when running at maximum power and may require ear protection
Buying Guide for Corded Jigsaw
To find the best corded jigsaw that will suit your needs, you’ll have to know for what features to look in a power tool of this type. And our guide provides the fundamental information to help you make the right decision.
If you have established what type of work you’ll do with the jigsaw, then you are already a step ahead. Next move would be looking for a jigsaw whose features and abilities will suit your demands. Easier said than done, but still.
Here are some of the main features you need to pay attention to:
One of the very first things you can notice on a jigsaw is the design which will tell us what type of handle it has. We can distinguish two types of jigsaw handles:
- Barrel grip handle and
- Top handle also known as D-handle
The difference between them is obvious on first sight because top handle jigsaws have their handle above the motor’s case in a semicircular shape. But, on jigsaws with barrel grip, the motor’s case acts as the handle.
Top handle jigsaws are the more common power tool on the market due to their ease of use, which makes them very appealing to beginners and regular DIY users. However, because of the handle’s position and higher center of gravity, you may experience difficulties moving the tool while making tight cuts.
On the other hand, the handle on barrel grip jigsaws is lower which results in stability that leads to increased precision while cutting. Because of this feature, these jigsaws are harder to control and are suited more for people with stronger hands or professionals.
But, as you can see, all of the corded jigsaws on our list come with a top handle.
As mentioned at the beginning of this guide, there are two types of jigsaw blades – T and U shank.
T-shank blades have become the industry’s standard over the years and most modern jigsaws are built with them as the primary blade. Even though they are usually made to suit both types, unlike older jigsaws.
Depending on the workpiece, you’ll also need to take into consideration the blade’s density, tooth design and material. Why? Because the blade tooth count impacts the cut. Whether you want to make a smoother but slower cut or rougher but faster, you must pay attention to the tooth count.
Same story with the material. Some blades are made for cutting soft workpieces like wood, some are made for cutting metal or steel and so on. That’s why it’s important to know on what type of materials you’ll work if you want to have the best equipment under your hands.
And because not all jigsaw blades can make the same cutting applications, you’ll need to change them often. To make your life easier, get yourself a jigsaw with a tool-less system for easy and quick blade change. Luckily, all of the jigsaws we review have that feature.
Motor and amperage
Depending on the type of materials you plan to cut, getting the jigsaw with the right amount of power is crucial. Thicker workpieces will of course require more powerful tools.
All 10 products on our list for best corded jigsaw range between 5.0 and 7.2 amp. And the least amount of power you need for seamless cutting is just 3.0 amp. So, making cuts of low or average depth won’t be an issue with whatever corded jigsaw you pick from our list.
However, if you plan to cut stronger materials or make deeper cuts while woodworking – we recommend you to get a jigsaw with at least 6.0 amp.
Variable Speed Control
One of the best features jigsaws have, is the option to control and adjust the tool’s speed to your own needs. Sure, these jigsaws might be a bit pricier than its peers with fixed speed, but the advantages are enormous.
If you may wonder why, then the answer is quite simple. You get more options to play with when cutting. By having the ability to adjust the cutting speed, you won’t be limited to cut just one or two materials. Like to cut wood? No problem, increase the strokes per minute and you are good to go. Like to cut ceramics? Lower the strokes.
Another great feature the best corded jigsaws have is the feature to reduce vibrations and improve stability when working. This leads to a smoother cut and increased accuracy.
However, that’s not the only benefit from this feature. Reduced vibrations also mean less fatigue, and less fatigue leads to increased productivity.
Orbital Action and Settings
The orbital action in a jigsaw and its settings, allows you to make various cutting applications. By using different settings, you can set the tool to make faster/slower, smoother/rougher and more/less accurate cuts.
If you want to achieve accuracy, then you’ll have to use less orbital action. But if you are looking for speed and quick cuts, use more orbital settings.
The orbital action is also superb for straight cuts because it makes the blade to swing back and forth.
Other Features to look out for
- Dust extracting system for clean worksite and no debris
- LED light and dust blower for increased visibility while working
- Length of the stroke – shorter stroke for slow but smooth cut and longer for faster cuts
- Tool-less changing system for fast blade replacement
Just like everything in life, you need to think thoroughly before making a decision. And buying a corded jigsaw isn’t an exception. Don’t rush it.
For example – you should get a top handle jigsaw if you plan to make simpler cuts and avoid complicated applications. Search for a jigsaw with quality tool-less blade change system, so you can replace the T-shank blade quickly and effortlessly. Pay attention to the motor’s power and blade material or design if you want to make certain cuts effectively without issues. Get a jigsaw with reduced vibrations because it offers you bigger accuracy when cutting and less exhaustion. Make sure it has variable speed and orbital settings, etc…
All of this should give you a clearer picture on corded jigsaws and hopefully will also help you to make the best decision when purchasing one!
You may also like
The 9 best cordless jigsaws for 2021 and a detailed buyer’s guide
In this article, I test and review the best cordless jigsaws on the market, looking at how they perform on different materials. I’ll describe the pros and cons of each so that you can select the one that best suits your needs.Read more
The 8 Best Sanders For Cabinets In 2021 And A Detailed Buyer’s Guide
In this guide, I road test the eight best sanders on the market in a real-world environment and tell you how they perform.Read more
The 9 Best Sanders For Refinishing Furniture In 2021 [Detailed Buyer’s Guide]
Whether your favorite household furniture is starting to look a bit tired or you’ve picked up a diamond in the rough from a yard sale, you need the tools and know-how to restore them to their former glory.Read more