Making a purchase of this magnitude where the product costs a few hundred to even thousands of dollars, always requires good research with paying great attention to details and knowing what you want to achieve with the table saw.
Of course, professional contractors are already ahead of the curve with their experience and may make up their minds faster than hobbyists when it comes to making the purchase.
But, in the end, both sides need to look through dozens of product descriptions, compare their features, and make a decision that can take up a lot of time.
That’s why, to help you make the right decision and not waste valuable time – we made this buyer’s guide for the best contractor table saw just for you.
So, if you are a novice who wants to take things more seriously or a professional looking for an upgrade, here are some essentials you need to know about contractor table saws before buying one.
What is a Contractor Table Saw?
Well, similar to most table saws – the contractor table saw is also a woodworking tool composed of a circular saw blade that’s powered by an electric motor and is mounted on an arbor. The saw blade sticks out through the tabletop and cuts the provided material whose size depends on the rip capacity of the table.
Contractor table saws are somewhat in the middle when it comes to weight. Meaning, they are heavy and large saws with a strong base, but often they come with wheels which makes them easily portable table saws. So, while they are heavier than bench-top saws, they are more lightweight when compared to compact or cabinet table saws.
These saws are also known as “open-stand saws” and use powerful electric engines with usually 1 or 2 horsepower (hp) i.e. 750 to 1500 W. The motor is located at the back of the saw on a rotating bracket which can cause problems with dust collection. And depending on the table saw model, the blade is normally driven by one or two v-belts.
Due to its size, power, longevity, cutting ability, price, and most importantly not consuming much electricity among other features – the contractor table saw is widely famous between hobbyists for DIY projects.
But enough chit-chatting, let’s get down to work. Here are our picks and reviews for the best contractor table saw in 2021
11 Best Contractor Table Saws [Reviews]
- Powermatic PM1000 1791000K Table Saw 30-Inch Fence
- DEWALT Table Saw for Jobsite, Compact, 8-1/4” (DWE7485)
- TACKLIFE Table Saw, 10” 15-Amp 4800RPM Table Saw,45° Bevel Cutting
- BOSCH 10 In. Worksite Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand 4100XC-10
- TACKLIFE 10-Inch 15-Amp Table Saw, 24T Blade, Cutting Speed up to 4800RPM
- Goplus Table Saw, 10-Inch 15-Amp Portable Table Saw, 36T Blade, 45º Double-Bevel Cut
- DEWALT (DWE7491RS) 10-Inch Table Saw, 32-1/2-Inch Rip Capacity
- SawStop 10-Inch Professional Cabinet Saw, 3-HP, 30-Inch Premium Fence Assembly (PCS31230-PFA30)
- Genesis GTS10SB 10″ 15 Amp Table Saw with Self-Aligning Rip Fence, Oversized Sliding Miter Gauge
- SKILSAW SPT99-11 10″ Heavy Duty Worm Drive Table Saw, Silver
- Baileigh TS-1248P-36 Professional Cabinet Style Table Saw, 5 hp, 36″ Max Cut
1. Powermatic PM1000 1791000K Table Saw 30-Inch Fence
Powermatic brings you the PM1000 1791000K – a highly efficient energy-saving cabinet table saw. Why is it energy-saving you may ask? Because unlike many other cabinet table saws, the PM1000 doesn’t need a lot of power and can run perfectly fine at just 115V usage.
Next is the powerful motor which will provide for quick and precise cuts. The accuracy comes with stability and that is achieved by a poly-v belt on Powermatic’s engine which lessens vibrations.
It comes with a 10-inch blade that has superb safety features and the ability to make deeper cuts due to its size. The blade guard offers you protection while cutting, so you won’t have to worry about unwanted injuries.
You also get a pivoting miter gauge that can tilt 60 degrees to both sides. This feature will allow you to easily make blade adjustments for all types of cuts at many angles.
However, if you want to make stable and precise straight cuts – then Powermatic has the solution for you. The solution is a 30-inch accu-fence system which will provide the needed stability very well.
And finally, the PM1000 offers you an awesome dust collection system that will minimize wood waste and you won’t have to spend hours cleaning the worksite.
- Very efficient table saw that requires just 115V power to run smoothly
- Miter gauge to easily make blade adjustments and cut at various angles
- Dust collecting isn’t an issue due to a smart system
- Cast iron table for durability and steadiness
- Blade guard for utmost safety and 30” fence system for precise straight cuts
- Definitely one of the priciest cabinet table saws on the market alongside SawStop
2. DEWALT Table Saw for Jobsite, Compact, 8-1/4-Inch (DWE7485)
Second on our list is one of DeWalt’s finest products on the market – the compact DWE7485 jobsite table saw with an 8-1/4” blade.
Despite its compact proportions and lightweight design, the DWE7485 has an incredible 15-amp engine that can reach up to 5800 RPM.
Then you have the rack and pinion fence rails which allow you to make quick and precise adjustments to the fence.
But when it comes to safety features, well it offers almost everything you need in a table saw. To begin with, the package comes with a great anti-kickback system. First, you have the anti-kickback pawls to secure the work-piece and not allow flying debris to hit you. Second is the non-through cut riving knife to battle kickback as well.
However, that’s not all. You also get the blade guard assembly to protect you while cutting.
If you want a jobsite table saw for multiple purposes, then the DWE7485 with its 24.5-inch rip capacity offers you that. With it you can make various cuts and use it to rip through OSB sheets or 4×8 plywood pieces.
The whole table saw package also includes a gauge, push stick, two dust ports and wrenches for blade changing.
- Easy for transportation due to its compact size
- Durability ensured because of a metal roll cage
- One of the very best table saws when it comes to safety features
- Powerful engine with impressive cutting speed
- Two dust collection ports for reduced waste material
- Rack and pinion fence rails for adjustability
- Limited cutting depth due to an 8-1/4” blade saw
- Compact proportions for easy transportation but doesn’t come with wheels
3. Tacklife 10-inch Jobsite Table Saw with Stand
Tacklife presents you their latest table saw that comes with a 15-amp drive and an aluminum extension table.
The engine can reach up to 4800 RPM cutting speed which will help you to cut and tear through various types of wood without breaking a sweat.
While the aluminum-coated tabletop offers you a large and strong surface to work on. It can extend up to 3.9” on either side and has features to prevent malformation and oxidation. Plus, you have guaranteed smooth sliding due to the aluminum coating.
Similar to some contractor table saws on our list, this one also has a 10-inch blade with carbide tipped 24 teeth. With it, you can make bevel cuts up to 45 degrees.
The rip fence stands at 31-1/2” which means you get to cut large work-pieces with ease and accuracy. And the adjustable gauge allows you to make angled cuts from -45 to 45 degrees.
What differs this table saw from others is mainly its convenient design. It was designed with an excellent on-board storage system in mind and a transparent blade guard which will protect you but also enable to see the cut more clearly. Not to mention the dust collecting port which you can attach to a vacuum cleaner.
- Designed with great onboard storage, dust collecting port and transparent blade
- Strong engine to cut through plywood, hardboard, lumber and so on
- Aluminum extension tabletop for even bigger cutting surface
- Made in China and not built out of the best materials
- Users have complained about loose fence and no accuracy while cutting
4. BOSCH 10 In. Table Saw with Gravity-Rise Wheeled Stand 4100XC-10
This time the German manufacturing giant Bosch brings you one of the very best contractor table saws on the market.
With the powerful 15-amp motor that can reach up to 4.0 HP and 3650 RPM cutting speed, you’ll be able to crosscut through fine and harsh materials with ease. It also has a great feature that will allow you to maintain speed under load alongside the restart protection feature to prevent unwanted startups.
Due to its size and weight, the BOSCH 4100XC-10 is a very portable contractor table saw. And even though it’s heavier than the DeWalt DWE7485, it comes with a wheeled stand base which makes it easier to transport.
Also has a well-made cast aluminum table-top for a bigger work surface. The great 25-inch rip capacity will allow you to cut wood pieces of different sizes. However, woodworking on “enormous” work-pieces might not be ideal for this table saw as there are contractor saws with bigger capacities.
If you want to know about the safety features it offers, well you are in for a treat! The safety system on this contractor table saw consists of anti-kickback pawls and riving knife for protection alongside a blade guard assembly.
The overall package includes a 10-inch carbide-tipped blade, miter gauge, push stick, wrench and throat plate insert among other things.
- Easily portable because of the gravity-rise wheeled stand
- Designed for performance and longevity
- 10-inch carbide-tipped blade saw for a deeper, more accurate and smoother cut
- Smart guard system with top-notch safety features
- Control the engine’s cutting speed under load and prevent accidental restarts
- Three-year limited warranty
- The fence isn’t as adjustable as on other contractor table saws
5. Tacklife 10-inch, 24Tooth Blade, Jobsite Table Saw with Stand
The second product from Tacklife on our list for best contractor saws is the 10-inch, 24T blade table saw with stand.
Just like the first Tacklife product of this type above on our list, this one as well comes with a strong, high-torque, 15-amp motor whose cutting speed can reach up to 4800 revolutions per minute. Because of that, you’ll be able to seamlessly cut rougher materials like hardwood or pressure-treated lumber.
Use the carbide-tipped 10”, 24T blade for quick, clean and deep cuts alongside bevel cuts up to 45 degrees.
The aluminum coated table-top was designed to smoothen the surface and improve the quality of the cut. While the metal roll cage provides you toughness and durability.
Also a good feature on the MTS01A table saw are the table-top extensions. These extensions expand up to 3.9” on both sides just like the previous Tacklife contractor table saw. And longer workspace equals bigger rip capacity, more stability when cutting larger wood pieces and so on.
To make your woodworking life easier, this table saw was built with an adjustable miter gauge that can go from -45 to 45 degrees. But that’s not all, because the fence will provide stable and accurate cut.
The MTS01A also features a smart onboard storage system where you can keep wrenches, push stick, cord wrap, fence etc. when not in use.
- Make a quick, smooth and accurate cut without major issues
- Designed with the ability to connect an aspirator to take care of dust cleaning
- Change old saw blades without any difficulties
- 2-year warranty with 24h Tacklife customer service
- Riving knife to protect you from kickback and blade guard assembly for safer cutting
- Extendable aluminum coated table-top for reduced friction
- Not the most stable contractor table saw on the market
- May face some problems when doing more complicated cuts
6. Goplus 10”, 36T Blade Table Saw with Metal Stand
Halfway through our buying guide for best contractor table saw and we have the Goplus table saw with metal stand and aluminum table-top.
This brilliant table saw comes with a low noise 15-amp engine that can deliver a cutting speed up to 5000 RPM. Like other saws with similar performance, you can effortlessly rip through rougher work-pieces, especially hardwood. On top of it also comes with a heavy-duty metal stand which guarantees stability while working.
Moreover, you don’t have to limit yourself to smaller work pieces thanks to the 26-inch rip capacity. While the aluminum coated tabletop will provide for smooth sliding while ripping through larger wood pieces.
If you may wonder about the safety system – the Goplus benchtop table saw comes with a 36T carbide-tipped blade that has a transparent blade guard. There’s also the riving knife to provide protection from kickbacks and flying chips.
Whether you like to cut, rip or slot, the blade’s height is adjustable through a large hand wheel. And for more secure, precise cutting the table saw has a self-aligning fence with a parallel guide on either side.
- Nice on-board storage system to stash the accessories not in use
- Safety switch with on and off option in case of an overload
- Strong hp motor for ripping through hardwood with an ease
- Great rip capacity accompanied by a self-aligning fence with parallel guide
- Very portable table saw due to its size and weight
- No dust collecting port
7. DEWALT (DWE7491RS) 10-Inch Table Saw, 32-1/2-Inch Rip Capacity
The DeWalt DWE7491RS contractor table saw is certainly one of the very best power tools of this type when it comes to performance. It’s a confirmed bestseller on Amazon with great reviews.
Because it was designed for performance with a powerful hp motor – cutting through hardwood and pressure-treated lumber won’t be an obstacle. No-load speed can go up to 4800 rpm which can help you to reach a maximum depth of cut 3-1/8” at 90 degrees.
The DWE7491RS was designed with easy transportation in mind. Even though it’s a bit heavy, the rolling stand makes it trouble-free for set up and moving around.
Then you have the adjustable fence with rack and pinion telescoping fence system that also retracts for better portability.
However, safety isn’t its strongest side because it comes down to a blade guard assembly for the 10” 24T carbide-tipped blade and push sticks. Doesn’t have an advanced anti-kickback system like the SawStop.
- 3-year limited warranty from the manufacturer
- Easily portable contractor table saw
- Excellent 32-1/2” rip capacity for cutting larger materials
- On-board storage system for tools not in use
- Ability to make a narrow cut due to a flip over ripping fence
- Lacks safety features compared to table saws of similar quality and price
8. SawStop 10-Inch Professional Cabinet Saw, 3-HP (PCS31230-PFA30)
Next on the list is one of the biggest, most expensive and most powerful table saws on our list. That’s of course SawStop’s 10-inch professional cabinet saw with 3 hp motor weighing well over 400 pounds and $3,000+ price.
SawStop brought their A-game on the PCS31230-PFA30. The 3 hp motor will allow you to rip through almost anything, while the 20” W x 27” D cast iron table will ensure cutting heaven.
Smooth and accurate measurements come automatically with the splendid 30” premium fence assembly.
But the most impressive feature is the SawStop safety system which outshines every table saw. It’s a blade stopping feature that can stop a spinning blade in less than 5 milliseconds on contact with skin. Now that’s amazing.
- Two years’ warranty from the manufacturer
- 8” dado blade diameter
- 30” premium fence assembly for precision and smoothness
- Patented SawStop safety feature that stops a spinning blade on skin contact
- Superb dust collection system and a powerful 3 hp motor
- Control box to keep you safe and maintain reliability
- SawStop’s cabinet table saw is the second most expensive product on our list
9. Genesis GTS10SB 10″, 40T Carbide Blade, 15 Amp Table Saw
To compete with Bosch, SawStop, DeWalt and other power tool manufacturers, Genesis made the GTS10SB contractor table saw with 15-amp drive, 10-inch blade and 40 carbide-tipped teeth.
As you can see ripping through hardwood won’t be an issue with the sturdy power source that can reach a no-load speed up to 4800 revolutions per minute.
The magic, however, is done on the extra-large 24” x 20” die-cast aluminum table which can be used for larger work pieces. It features a self-aligning rip fence that has the ability to lock the front and rear automatically. The adjustments on the fence are quick, smooth and precise.
It’s also a lightweight portable table saw that can be transported without difficulties. Easy to use and ideal for hobbyists.
- Ideal contractor table saw for hobbyists and DIY projects
- Quality 40T carbide tipped saw blade, miter gauge and push-stick
- Good blade guard and anti-kickback pawls for safety while cutting
- Extra-large die-cast aluminum table and heavy-duty metal stand for stability
- On-board storage system for accessories not in use
- Easy to use even for beginners
- Users have complained about reliability
10. SKILSAW SPT99-11 10″ Heavy Duty Worm Drive Table Saw with Stand, Silver
The penultimate contractor table saw comes from Skilsaw. The silver-colored Skilsaw SPT99-11 table saw can become one of your finest deals depending on what your needs are.
For example, the SPT99-11 offers you one of the very best 15-amp dual-field motors that can stay cool after a long time of cutting and ripping. Whether you cut larger or smaller materials it doesn’t matter. And ripping through wood won’t be an issue thanks to the legendary worm driver power train that provides superior torque. No-load cutting speed goes up to 5,000 RPM.
You can also make quick and smooth fence adjustments for precise cuts because of the rack and pinion fence system.
Another fantastic feature is the rolling stand with 16” wheels. Making it an easily portable contractor table saw. And weighing 94.3 lbs, it shouldn’t be too heavy for one person to transport it on the worksite.
While using SPT9-11 you won’t have to worry about sawdust and debris every time you work. Why? Because of the dust port elbow which helps to contain sawdust and debris in one area – making it easy to clean.
The 30-1/2” rip capacity will allow you to cut all types of wood no matter their width. Cutting larger types of wood wouldn’t be a problem.
The whole package comes with carbide teeth, miter gauge, smart guard system, insert plate, push stick, wrench and fence as well.
- Timeless heavy-duty worm drive motor with an excellent gearing system
- Anti-kickback device and smart guard system for increased safety
- Easy to use with adjustable fence for a more accurate cut
- Wheeled stand for facilitated transportation at any time
- Fabulous solution for the dust collecting problem contractor table saws have
- Heavier and more expensive than contractor saws with similar characteristics
11. Baileigh TS-1248P-36 Professional Cabinet Style Table Saw
Last but least product on our list is the Baileigh TS-1248P-36 table saw with 12-inch blade and 1” arbor.
If power is what you are looking for, then this cabinet styled table saw may be the answer to your needs. After all, you’ll hardly find a tool as powerful as this one on the market and offers similar qualities.
The 5 hp motor will rock your world because you’d be surprised just how effortless it will cut through tough and thick work-pieces. And if that’s not enough, you have a 12-inch blade mounted on the saw. With it you can reach a maximum depth of the cut like no other contractor table saw from our buyer’s guide can.
But besides its size and stunning 5 hp motor, the TS-1248P requires ‘only’ 220 voltage power for smooth cutting. Making it a table saw that can work almost anywhere on any socket.
Accuracy and stability are ensured by the cast iron table, steel base and the big trunnion. While the firm all-steel base will reduce vibrations to a minimum and keep the noise down.
The 48” x 30” work table and its 36” extensions on both sides are made out of precision-ground cast iron. This will protect the working surface from any malformations.
Use the steel hand wheel to make easy adjustments on the blade any time you want.
- Extremely powerful 5 hp motor to seamlessly cut…everything
- Adjustable height and position of the 12” blade
- Large tabletop with extensions and mega rip capacity
- Ability to connect a vacuum through a 4” port for dust collecting
- Riving knife and blade guard with anti-kickback reversed teeth for safety
- Not so great one-year warranty from the manufacturer
- The most expensive contractor table saw on the list, surprising the SawStop
Buying Guide for Contractor Table Saw
Just like making any other purchase of this caliber, the first thing you need to have in mind is a clear goal. By that I mean – knowing what you want to achieve with this product and how or where will you use it. Because you can’t use contractor table saws with small rip capacity to cut large work-pieces and expect flawless results. Or expect to easily rip through hardwood with a table that has a weak engine.
These two small examples show the importance of research when choosing the right power tool of this type. Because otherwise, you won’t be able to get the best contractor table saw to fulfill needs and your work will undoubtedly suffer.
Contractor table saws have a great number of features for which you have to look after before making a purchase. Here are some of the main ones:
Material & Portability
Because these are heavy pieces of machinery, moving them from one to another jobsite would be problematic unless they have wheels. But even with wheels on, they still wouldn’t be easy to transport and it might be best to use them at one place.
The material of the tabletop can also influence the weight and quality of the table saw. Usually, the heavier ones made out of cast iron provide better precision, durability and firmness.
Blade Size, Tooth Count & Material
Most table saws on our list and in general come with a 10-inch blade. But why is that? It’s because the 10” blade offers versatility for cutting various materials effortlessly and make all types of cuts.
However, not all blades with the same dimensions have the same tooth count. And knowing the right number of teeth is important. Because saw blades with a higher number of teeth usually make a slower cut but the end result is smoother and more accurate. While blades with lower tooth count cut faster but not as precise and smooth.
Also important feature is the blade’s material which gives a clear picture for what purposes it should be used. For example – tungsten carbide blade to cut harder materials and PVC, while metal and steel blades for cutting wood.
If you know on what type of materials you’ll work and their size, then having the right rip capacity is essential. The logic here is very simple – the larger your work-piece is, the larger your rip capacity should be.
To easily cut through large materials you would need a table with at least 24-inch rip capacity. But don’t worry because the contractor table saws on our list meet and even exceed the required numbers.
Motor & Horsepower
Similar to the features above, the motor’s power also plays a big part in cutting the material. Since you won’t be able to cut or rip through larger and thicker work-pieces with an underperforming power source. Most of the table saws on our list have a 15-amp engine which translates to 2.17 hp. And 2 horsepower is the bare minimum for these types of cuts.
Dust Collection System
As mentioned in the introduction of this guide for best contractor table saw, these power tools have issues with dust due to the position of the engine. Because of that, you need to search for table saws that have a good dust collection system if you want to keep your working place clean.
Stability and Safety Features
You don’t want a cheaply made table saw that vibrates like crazy when working. Because first of all – that will have a high impact on the accuracy of the cut, and second it may lead to unwanted hazardous moments. That’s why you need a table with a strong stable base and good safety features.
The most important safety features are of course the blade guards and the riving knives to protect you from kickbacks.
Fence and Miter Gauge for a variety of cuts
To extract the most out of the table saw cutting-wise, always make sure they have a nice pair of fence and miter gauge.
The fence won’t allow the cutting material to move which translates to accurate cuts and better safety. While the adjustable miter gauge will allow you to cut at any angle you want.
When you buy machinery of this magnitude, weight and price, you should look for a product that comes with a good warranty from the manufacturer. After all, these aren’t simple machines and their job isn’t the gentlest one. So no matter how durable and strong they are, problems may still occur.
To buy the best contractor table saw you will definitely need to do your homework. Meaning, not every tool of this type offers the same features and not every table saw suits your need. So you need to be careful when picking the right one for you because this isn’t like buying ice cream.
Stay informed, read the product description and the features it offers, read the best and worst reviews from customers if you buy online (e.g. Amazon) and know your budget. If you can’t get a SawStop table saw, go for a DeWalt one.
Be safe, enjoy your work and hopefully our buying guide for contractor table saw helped you make the right decision.
You may also like
The 8 Best Sanders For Cabinets In 2021 And A Detailed Buyer’s Guide
In this guide, I road test the eight best sanders on the market in a real-world environment and tell you how they perform.Read more
The 9 Best Sanders For Refinishing Furniture In 2021 [Detailed Buyer’s Guide]
Whether your favorite household furniture is starting to look a bit tired or you’ve picked up a diamond in the rough from a yard sale, you need the tools and know-how to restore them to their former glory.Read more
The 12 Best Sanders For Trim Work And A Detailed Buyer’s Guide
In the detailed buyer’s guide to choosing the best sanders for trim work, I’ll show you everything you need to look for when shopping for a sander to help you prepare your trim.Read more